18. November 2014 06:21
If you are planning to sell your home then you should consider making some changes to it to get the maximum possible return on your investment. In today’s competitive and ever changing real estate industry, it is extremely important that your home stands out from the rest so that it can attract the potential buyers.
Here are some of the important tips that will help you add value to your ‘for-sale’ home:
- Revamp the outdoors: Whenever a potential buyer enters your property, the first thing that can either attract or repel him is the exterior part of your home. Hence, make sure that the front yard of your home is clean and tidy. The garden should be well maintained and fenced, windows should be painted properly
- Renovate the roof: A shabby roof can also be a negative factor for home selling. Visible damages will immediately be noticed by potential buyers and they will be compelled to reconsider the price they are paying for your home. Thus, try to repair the roof well before any visitor comes to see your property.
- Refresh with paint: This is another useful and affordable way give a fresh look to your home. Do not use very bright colors as these may not be everyone’s choice. Instead, keep colors to a minimum, using light and neutral shades that go along with almost any furnishings.
- Update flooring: Get the carpets steam cleaned to remove all the dust and stains to give a fresh look to it. You should also get the floors cleaned or repaired if they are showing signs of wear and tear.
- Remove blemishes: Old-fashioned wallpapers, tacky light fittings, tainted cabinetries are also good options to be considered for uplift. You need not spend a lot of money on this but work around creatively to give them a simple yet stylish look.
- Install security features: Buyers look for a property that has proper security features installed. Installing new pad locks, fire alarms, CCTV cameras, motion detectors etc. can significantly add to the value of your home.
We, at Morris Real Estate, can help you conveniently sell your home in Killeen, TX. Our realtors have years of experience in the real estate industry and thus, are updated about the current market trends. For more information, feel free to call us at (254) 634 – 8852.
11. November 2014 10:38
A number of people find renting an apartment as a better option than buying own house. Moving to a new apartment is an exciting experience; however, finding one that suits your need and is the best for you is a daunting task.
Here are some things that you need to consider while looking for rental apartments.
Search for a suitable apartment:
The most important things that you need to consider while searching for an apartment is your budget, your requirements and knowing where to search. Always set a budget before you start apartment hunting and stick to it. You should make sure that your rent does not exceed 30% of your income. Deciding a budget will help you narrow down your search options. Assess your needs so that you can look for the required features in an apartment and also decide the area or location where you need to search for your apartment.
Consider your finances and documentation:
To ensure steady income, the landlords often want to ensure that you will pay the rent on time, so they may require you to provide details about your income and credit score. You should check out what all is included in the rent as it is always good to clarify everything before you actually sign the lease documents. You should carefully read the beginning and expiry dates, rental price, information about security deposit, reasons that may lead to termination of lease contract, rules about subletting, pet policies, policies about guest visitors, penalties for moving out before the expiry date, etc. Get everything in written and make sure you thoroughly read the lease agreement to avoid any conflicts later on.
Evaluate the property and neighborhood:
Inspect the apartment to find if it suits your needs and check out its condition. Make sure that you are not deceived by the looks of the apartment and inspect the water and gas pipes for leakage. You should also examine the sink faucets and shower heads to check the water pressure and flush the toilet to see if it works properly or not. Ensuring that the electric appliances are in good working condition helps avoid hassles at a later stage. Also, check your neighborhood and see what facilities are available.
If you like everything you should try to negotiate the price with the landlord. You can also hire a professional realtor to find a suitable apartment for rent for you. The professional will handle all the details and will negotiate on your behalf to get you good discounts and a great deal.
4. November 2014 07:11
Renting a property in Killeen, TX can be a tough task for the landlords as the field is peppered with so many hurdles that can obliterate the returns from a property. Here are some considerations that can make the entire process hassle free and profitable.
In order to make the investment profitable, a landlord should put himself in the shoes of the tenant and think according to the tenant, this will help him in buying a property that can appeal the potential tenants.
- Access: The most important consideration by a tenant is the access. An apartment in a faraway location is not preferred by most people. They usually choose to live in a place that has an easy access to important places like schools, hospitals, shopping malls etc.
- Parking: A tenant always looks for good parking space. Therefore, the property owners should try to build apartments with a garage or car parking area. This can be very helpful in increasing the value of the rental apartment.
- Size: While buying a home for rental purpose, special emphasis should be laid on the size of each room unit. It should be good enough for comfortable living. Smaller rooms are least preferred by the potential tenants.
- Research: A good research can be very beneficial in figuring out the current trends in the market. It can help in deciding the rent that the other apartment owners are quoting for a similar property.
- Ownership: The property owners should make sure that the apartment is not company titled and the ownership is complete. More emphasis should be on the documentation while purchasing an apartment.
Tips for Renting out an apartment:
- Renovate: If the purchased house is not newly built, then keeping a budget for renovation can be beneficial. Making the necessary changes can add freshness to the house and maximize the rental returns. Repairs can also be done.
- Hire agents: The real estate agents can be helpful in both purchasing and renting the apartment. They help in bringing potential tenants and help you get good price for the property.
- Choose the tenant carefully: Choosing the right tenant can be very helpful in reducing the chances of loss due to wrong or faulty tenant. Therefore, the property owner should not overlook the screening performed by the real estate agents.
- Appropriate pricing: The price offered by the property owner should be equivalent to the market price. This will help in renting the property in a much less time.
Renting out the property can be tranquilizing if the above mentioned tips are followed. We at, Morris Real Estate, provide thorough assistance to the property owners in renting the apartments profitably. For more information, visit us at 1104 W Veterans Memorial Blvd Killeen, TX 76541 or call at (254) 634 - 8852.
20. October 2014 09:29
Purchasing an apartment for the first time can be an exciting and a nerve racking experience. It is usually difficult for first time buyers to understand the key factors that should be kept in mind while making such a big investment. Without proper support and knowledge it is possible to over-look some important considerations while purchasing an apartment. Therefore, it is advisable to hire a real estate agent before proceeding with the purchase.
Here are few important points that should be kept in mind when purchasing an apartment:
- Set a Budget: The most important step towards buying an apartment is the budget. The buyer should be realistic about the budget and the amount to be taken as loan should also be decided at this time. The budget should not only include the price of the house but also other expenses like the movers and packers cost, repairs of the house, grocery, installation of televisions or telephones and registration and tax costs.
- Set up your priorities: The first time buyers should consider this as a crucial part of the purchasing process. They should make a checklist of the important amenities required by them and evaluate all of them while visiting the house. They should discuss it with the real estate agent so that he is able to short list properties depending on their requirements.
- Think about Long-Term: You should consider the future needs of you and your family and purchase an apartment accordingly. If you are planning to have kids or move in your parents you must consider extra space for them too.
- Close scrutinization: The house should be inspected well before taking a final decision about it. A buyer can take professional help for the same or can inspect the place himself. A close check on the security of the house, quality of material used to build up the house and the availability of water and electricity can help in the long run.
- Getting details from the market: Monitoring the market for similar houses is very crucial for a fair dealing. It can give an idea about the price of similar houses which can be very beneficial at the time of negotiating for the purchases.
- Making an offer and finalizing the deal: The buyer should consider hiring a real estate agent and decide the amount to be offered. The agent helps in negotiation between the buyer and the seller and takes care of all the paper work and documents. The buyer should clear all the queries before making the final decision and the payment.
First time buyers should be very careful while purchasing an apartment and should look beyond the staging of the house. A close inspection of the house is a must and attention should be given to the layout and location of the house.
13. October 2014 08:52
Evaluating a tenant before signing a rental agreement is very important to ensure a smooth hassle free tenancy and to safeguard your property. While scrutinizing the background of the applicant, his credit worthiness, references, job and background screening is of utmost importance. Morris Real Estate provides a comprehensive tenant screening which includes complete credit and background screening of the tenant to ensure you rent out your property with a peaceful mind. Here are few points why tenant screening is very important:
- Legal Protection: There are many laws for the protection of the interest of the landlord but screening of the tenant is a form of objective measure for a rational decision in case the landlord faces any trouble.
- Diminution of the Risk: Tenant screening is very important in minimizing the risk to the landlord. The screening report provides some assurance about the tenant and plays a great role in taking a decision regarding the tenant.
- Sieves out the problematic tenant: Tenant screening involves comprehensive checking of the tenant through references. Previous landlords and current employer play a significant role here as they can disclose sensitive information about his behavior, payment habits, salary and personality. This process of background check helps in weeding out the wrong tenant.
- Information about the Credit History: Tenant screening also helps in learning about the credit history of the tenant. You can observe the payment behavior of the tenant from the report which can give a fair idea about the credit worthiness of the tenant.
- Social behavior of Tenant: The process of referring to the employer, friends or previous landlords of the person helps in perceiving the behavior of the possible tenant. Any information of wrong or faulty behavior and bad reputation can be very helpful in minimizing the chance of choosing wrong tenant.
- Check on criminal background: A check on the criminal background of the tenant is conducted which is the most important fact to be known before finalizing the tenant. This check is not only beneficial for the landlord but also for the neighbors.
Hence, tenant screening is very crucial part of renting out an accommodation. We, at Morris Real Estate provide thourough tenant screening to all our clients in Killeen, TX. We make sure that the tenants you rent out your property to is credit worthy and reliable.
6. October 2014 08:03
Selling one’s house should be a profitable decision regardless of whether you want to sell your house as a good business move or because you are looking to move to a new house. Your primary intention should be to secure a lucrative offer price. While the size, make and location of the house are the primary determinants of the kind of offers you are likely to get, however there are ways by which you can increase the retail value of your property.
- The first port of call is to address all the pending repair work. This includes fixing all broken tiles and windows, trimming the garden grass and getting rid of any weed or other unwanted plants. You should paint the house if it hasn't been recently painted along with replacing any broken or missing panels in the fence. You can polish and buff the woodwork in the house to give a clean fresh look. If you are looking to sell any appliances or drapes you should make sure that they are presentable.
- The next step is to invest in the house wisely to increase its market value. You can get a new fence and add a swimming pool in the backyard. If your house doesn’t have a shed you can consider building one. You can also get the floors and walls re-tiled.
- The third part is putting the house up and marketing about the sale. Fliers, Newspaper ads and online listings are the best options to let people know that your house is up for sale. You can get in touch with a realtor who can help in selling your house as he understands the mindset of the buyers that are interested in the kind of house that you are trying to sell based on its make and size. Efficient marketing and a professional realtor will help you find the right buyer in a short time.
- While staging the house you can consider hiring a professional housekeeper. If you want to do it yourself then you should be well dressed and explain to the interested buyers why the house will be perfect for them and how it will fit in their lives. Also, if there is anything offbeat about the house or its locality you should let them know upfront to avoid any conflict at a later stage.
Selling a house can be very profitable and quick if proper methods are followed and the condition of the house is maintained.
18. September 2014 11:15
More and more people prefer renting a house rather than buying it as it is an economical decision. Renting a home is definitely a good move for your budget if you are into a moving job and need to shift every few years or so. Finding the appropriate rental property depends on your financial condition, lifestyle and your future plans. Here are some benefits of renting a house over buying it.
- Flexibility: By renting a house you can explore an area and decide whether you want to make any long-term investment or not. Renting helps you discover the neighborhood and research about the facilities in the specific area.
- Enjoy better lifestyle: You may not be able to afford a house in a posh area; however, by renting a house in that same area you can enjoy the lifestyle and status that you always wanted.
- No maintenance expenses: One of the biggest benefits of renting a house is that you do not have to pay any maintenance costs. If you require any repairs or replacements the landlord has the responsibility to take care of that. This makes your rental property quite affordable in comparison to buying own house. Your property owner will take care of water proofing, tree removal, roof repairs or any other issues; you just have to bring the problem to the notice of the owner.
- Utilities included: When you rent a house you get many utilities included in the rent such as Wi-Fi, gas, water, electricity, hot water, etc which helps you save a lot of money in your bills.
- Access to amenities: By renting an apartment or a condo in a society you can have access to various free amenities which otherwise cost hundreds of dollars. You can also be closer to your office or school and this helps save travel time and costs.
- Have a stable budget: When you rent a house you can easily plan and define your budget as you have to pay a fixed amount every month. You need not bother about any emergency repairs, annual expenses, property taxes and housing related costs.
- Make investments and rebuild your credit: Renting can be a great move if you are suffering from a financial crisis as it helps you save a huge amount of money that you can invest in an investment plan. In addition, you can work on building a good credit report.
Benefits of renting a house vary from person to person and it is always advised that you should consider your personal situations and preferences before taking any decision.
11. September 2014 09:11
Searching for a home can be really exciting but at the same time a little daunting. You might have taken time and considered many options but there are still a number of mistakes that first time buyers usually make. Given here are some of those common mistakes and tips on how you can avoid them.
- Not analyzing your budget: Homebuyers must make a detailed list of all their monthly expenditures, such as groceries, loan payments, credit card payments, household bills, insurance premiums, vehicle costs, groceries, retirement savings and the like. Take out all these from your total income and then you will get an estimate on how much you can spend each month on your new home.
- Skipping mortgage qualification: You must ensure that you have been approved for a loan before initiating the search for a home as otherwise you will be wasting your time. The house that you are looking for should fit into the loan amount approved by the bank.
- Not considering add-on expenses: Apart from the monthly loan payments, you will have many other expenses once you are a homeowner. You will have to pay property tax, make any repairs required in the house and prevent it from natural disasters.
- Do not be too choosy: As first time homebuyers, you may have to compromise on certain things due to the shortage of funds. Being too choosy can ultimately end up meaning that you will be living in a rental home for a longer time.
- Lacking vision: If the home is perfect in terms of size and location then you should overlook minor imperfections.
- Being swept away: Minor cosmetic fixes and repairs are a seller’s tricks to ask for a high price for his property. You should be cautious and not get swayed away with these tactics and make a wise decision.
- Compromising on important things: Do not make compromises on things that can be a trouble for you in the long run.
- Not inspecting properly: Although the seller presents the house in its best form, still you must carry out a thorough inspection looking for any loopholes.
- Not choosing the correct neighborhood: This may not seem to be important initially, but owning a house that has unfavorable neighbors can really have unpleasant circumstances subsequently.
- Not hiring an agent: You must take the help of a professional real estate agent while buying a home as he will have a proper knowledge about the present market and will be able to guide you properly.
For all your needs and concerns related to buying, selling and renting, you can contact us at Morris Real Estate at (254) 634-8852.
4. September 2014 11:20
Many people prefer owning a house than renting as it not only brings a sense of pride but also makes one free from landlord’s rules and regulations. By investing in a house you can actually convert your monthly payments into equity and over a period of time own a substantial piece of property. If you have plans to buy a house in Killeen TX, it is crucial for you to be aware of certain things and consider some important points.
Before you start hunting for a home you should make sure that you have the money to make the deal. It is no fun looking for properties when you cannot afford to buy. You should get a pre-approval for the mortgage and know your price range. Your realtors will show you many homes that are in your price range so it is crucial that you know your budget and your limitations. Knowledge about other factors such as property taxes, maintenance, utility bills and society dues also helps to understand about the entire financial burden. You should make sure you assess all the financial responsibilities before actually signing the deal and ensure that you have a clean credit history so that you can easily avail a loan.
Hire a realtor
Although it may look tempting to buy a home on your own but it is always a good idea to hire a professional realtor who has thorough knowledge about the process of buying and selling a house. A real estate agent can help you find the best neighborhood, evaluate the facilities in the area such as schools, markets and other amenities, and guide you with the buying procedure. A realtor helps you make a good deal while taking care of all the paper work. With the help of a professional you can avoid the surprises as he/she may inform you about many possibilities in advance.
Finding a home for sale is not enough as the facilities it offers and the location it is in makes a lot of difference. You should choose a location that offers a good neighborhood and a promising locale that will go up in value in future. Evaluate the vicinity, surroundings and your potential new neighbors. There should be good schools, markets and play grounds, and you should ask your realtor about the planned developments in the area.
19. August 2014 08:40
In the present real estate market it has become quite a difficult task to sell a home. With the variety of options available to buyers, they have the luxury to be picky and take their time to choose a house to buy. In such instances, it is very important for the homeowners to invest a little time and effort to stage their home properly for sale. This is beneficial due to a number of reasons and gives out a good impression about the house to the prospective buyer.
Here are some useful tips that will help you stage your house better and highlight its positive points to the buyers.
- Homebuilders are well versed with the tips and tricks of selling. You can visit some of the newly built for-sale houses near you and try and understand the differences in your house and the new property. You should think like a potential buyer and take a note of the things the appealed or repelled you and try to make similar changes in your house.
- You should scale down the furniture in your house and remove any unnecessary pieces. Try and keep as few things as possible to give an organized clutter free appeal to your house. Cluttered and disorganized rooms look smaller and inhibit the buyer to envision them living there.
- The rooms should be painted in cool colors like light green, pale blue, bright yellow which will give an outsized feel to the room. Lighter rooms appear bigger and cleaner.
- You should ensure that your room gets enough light, either natural or electric. Bright rooms give a warm and welcoming appeal.
- You should avoid using too bold patterns on bedding and upholstery. A solid colored bedspread or blanket in a small bedroom will make it look larger.
- The windows should also be kept simple. Ruffles, flounces, complicated valences and strong patterns should not be used.
- The most overlooked part of the house is the kitchen and a huge load of utensils and appliances give it a crowded and messy look. You must remove all unused appliances and leave the minimum vessels on display.
If you need any help in the proper staging of your house, do consider taking professional help. For more information, please contact Morris Real Estate at (254) 634-8852. You can also reach us at 1104 W Veterans Memorial Blvd, Killeen, TX 76541.